Provide Graphic Designer support to the NGA Visual Communications Division (OCC/OCCV).
The person filling this position will provide support for the NGA Visual Communications Division (OCC/OCCV) by applying extensive knowledge of various sciences (e.g., Computer Science, Programming); web development technologies (ColdFusion, C#, Java, and PHP); APIs or web service technologies (e.g., REST APIs, SOAP, and XML); and browser-based technologies and libraries (e.g. AJAX, jQuery, Angular, Handlebars, Bootstrap or similar design and HTML templating frameworks). Specifically:
• Maintain legacy Coldfusion and C# applications and work within the office and across the agency to migrate existing code to more modern, sustainable solutions.
• Maintain legacy Oracle, MySQL, and SQL Server databases.
• Regularly update legacy applications with current content, based on guidance and input from division (OCCV) and office (OCC) leadership.
• Institute regular backup routines for legacy content and data until applications migrate to a more institutional, sustainable solution.
• Document — both inline and external documents — code, database connections, external touchpoints, table structures, etc. for all legacy applications and databases.
• Work with OCCV designers to develop and deploy new, modern front-end interfaces to current applications.
• Research and, once accepted by OCCV leadership, implement modern web design technologies to incrementally improve user interfaces and workflow efficiencies.
• Create designs for complex client web and mobile applications utilizing current industry programming techniques.
• Partner with internal and external teams and application users to conceptualize, design, and prototype excellent user experiences while maintaining functionality and simple workflows.
• Develop and share recommendations on industry best practices on information architecture, user experience, accessibility compliance, and use of graphics, mobile optimization, responsiveness, and other web best practices.
• Work with OCCV designers to create intuitive user-facing products by transforming an idea from scientific presentations into web applications.
• Utilize the NGA DevOps systems and tools (Git, Jenkins, etc.) to ensure compliant code and ensure best practices.
• Build efficient and reusable resource and guidance libraries for future design use.
• Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs.
• Identify and troubleshoot customer issues on NGA’s content management system (permissions, api, web parts).
• Utilize XML-parsing, XSLT, CSS, Web Services and REST of multiple systems including Microsoft SharePoint. Possess associated technical knowledge of admin and servers associated with SharePoint such as SQL Server administration, Windows Server Administration, active directory control, etc.
Minimum Years' of Experience: 11
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field (11 yrs.)
• Demonstrated experience developing, deploying, and maintaining ColdFusion, C#, Java, and PHP applications.
• Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining Oracle, MySQL, and SQL Server databases.
• Demonstrated experience implementing front-end, user experience design and development.
• Demonstrated experience applying best practices for web accessibility, usability, and technical implementation.
• Demonstrated experience maintaining a web and/or CMS application.
Must have a TS/SCI Clearance
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Minimum 8 years’ experience implementing industry standards for user experience methodologies, design technical resources, and web best practices.
• Minimum 2 years’ experience developing in cloud-based DevOps environment.
• Minimum 1 years’ experience with business workflow and appropriate capabilities/tools (e.g. JIRA, etc.).